The SAP Support Backbone is the central infrastructure located at SAP to provide technical support to their customers. The Support Backbone consists of several different systems for different purposes. It provides:
- SAP Support Portal infrastructure.
- Maintenance Planner.
- SAP EarlyWatch Alert Reports.
- … and many more.
On our client side, SAP Solution Manager and Focused Run for SAP Solution Manager connect to the SAP Support Backbone to exchange data for various purposes:
- Support incidents.
- System data for the Maintenance Planner.
- SAP EarlyWatch Alert data.
- … and many more.
The SAP Support Backbone has been updated but the legacy infrastructure remains in place to allow a safe transition for customers. Customers must switch the communication of SAP Solution Manager and Focused Run to the new infrastructure before January 2020 to ensure continuous connectivity.
The most important changes are upgrading to https communication channels and the enablement of server certificates to use SSL.
Which actions do you need to take?
Focused Run for SAP Solution Manager
The new communication channels in Focused Run 2.0 enable the exchange of data with the updated SAP Support Backbone. All Focused Run customers must upgrade to Focused Run 2.0. Focused Run 1.0 systems will not be able to communicate with the SAP Support Backbone after January 1st, 2020.
SAP Solution Manager
When a customer switches to the new communication channels, they need to enable the exchange of data with the updated SAP Support Backbone. The following is required for customers:
- Customer is on SAP Solution Manager 7.2
- Upgrade to SAP Solution Manager SP07 or higher*
- Customer is on SAP Solution Manager 7.1
- Upgrade to the latest SAP Solution Manager 7.2 support package (find more information here).
*Upgrade to SP08 or higher is recommended.
Switch-over is possible with immediate effect, as the updated support backbone is already active (legacy infrastructure remains switched on until 1 January 2020).
Which SAP Solution Manager scenarios are impacted?
- Landscape synchronisation with SAP (automatic update of customer system data. used for Maintenance Planner).
- Remote Service Connection Management from SAP Solution Manager.
- System Recommendations.
IT Service Management
SAP Engagement and Service Delivery
- Engagements and Sessions.
- SAP EarlyWatch Alert from SAP Solution Manager to SAP.
- Service Content Update.
Where can you find help with questions or problems?
Your first point of call should be with G3G who can guide you through the requirements.
What happens if you don’t take action?
After January 1st 2020:
- SAP Solution Manager 7.2 systems on SP04 and earlier support package stack levels will no longer be able to communicate with SAP Support Backbone.
- Systems on SP05 and SP06 will allow limited connectivity, manual efforts are required.
- SAP Solution Manager 7.0 and 7.1 systems cannot communicate with SAP Support Backbone with SAP Support Backbone.
Our Basis experts are already working with customers to help them prepare for these changes, please do not hesitate to get in touch for a no obligation discussion on your planned updates.